Best Review on Hamilton Beach 25475 Breakfast Sandwich
This was originally given to me as a slightly nerdy gag-gift. I never really intended to use it; however, one day I pulled it from the cabinet out of curiosity and perhaps a little boredom. Not expecting much, I plugged it in and made my first breakfast sandwich...
Onion bagel
Canadian bacon (pre-cooked!)
Grated cheddar cheese
One egg, scrambled, with freshly ground sea salt, black pepper, additional cheddar cheese, and a small(!) dash of Tabasco sauce mixed in...
!!!SUPER-YUMMY!!!
After five minutes, the egg was perfectly cooked, cheese melted and bagel toasted. The non-stick surface allows for easy food prep and clean-up. I was worried the egg might leak from the top ring before cooking, but the flush ring design works perfectly. I do wish the upper ring were slightly deeper, because I use unusually thick bagels from a local bakery. Most grocery store brand bagels fit perfectly. If you follow the directions (always a good idea when using appliances!) you can easily achieve tasty-breakfast-nerd-vana. I freakin' love this thing!
Om nom nom...
BalasHapusI saw this on Pinterest and at that time Amazon didn't carry it. But I put it on my Wish List and it was availble within the week (Now the Hamilton Beach web-site is out of stock). It was also five-dollars cheaper than their web-site.
BalasHapusThis breakfast sandwich maker works beautifully and doesn't take up much counter space. I strongly advise first-time users to follow the manufacturer's instructions...especially about seasoning the plates with oil before you use it (and then a cooking oil spray for each time you use it in the future). Also, it's important not to pile up too many items on the lower plate, or it won't close properly. You will have to play around with the time. A sandwich using a whole wheat English muffin, an egg, sausage, and cheese was done at just a little over 4 minutes.
By following a few basic guidelines, you end up with the perfect breakfast sandwich.
I bought one of these from the manufacturer's website on the day of its release because Amazon wasn't yet selling it. I love it!
BalasHapusI've found that English muffins work the best. I tried one full-sized bagel and made a mess, but I will try again to see if I can get it right. I imagine the Bagel thins would work very well.
Once you plug it in, it takes about 5 minutes to heat up. Add your bread, cheese, meats, veggies, and egg, close it up, and set a timer for 5 minutes. The sandwiches come out hot with the muffin nicely crisped, the egg well cooked, the meat/veggies nicely warmed and the cheese melted.
Clean up is really easy, too. Remove the center section, clean it off with a brush or scrubbie pad in the sink, then wipe down the other part with a damp cloth or paper towel.
Highly recommended!
I was a bit concerned about buying this item as I had read a few reviews that talked about it leaking the egg real bad (especially when using egg whites) and that is what I had planned on using it for.
BalasHapusAlthough I have only used it two times so far, I followed the instructions, cleaning it, and then wiping on a bit of vegetable oil onto the cooking plate (the part that slides out) before the first couple uses.
Used Allwhites brand egg whites from a carton, and simply poured it in "slowly" once the cooker was nice and hot. The egg would sear and cook up around the edges before it had any time to leak out if that was even possible (I didn't see any sort of leakage at any time). Maybe the key is to pour your egg white in slowly.
Like some others, I don't really like the idea of putting my top bread in directly on the egg, so I just let the egg cook for 4-5 minutes before raising the top and putting my top bread piece on the already cooked egg so none of it gets soaked up into the bread, seems to work great.
So far no issues and cooks up a nice little egg sandwich in no time!
I also purchased mine from the manufacturers website. Which is now sold out. I just received it today. It rocks! If you love egg mcmuffins, but don't want the transfats or other garbage, get it!
BalasHapusI am very pleased with the Breakfast Sandwich Maker. It works well. It is simple to use and simple to clean. My only suggestion is to use a touch of cooking spray before placing the egg (it just makes the egg slide off a little easier). I've found that 4:30 minutes is the perfect cook time.
BalasHapusThe sandwich maker does an excellent job of lightly toasting the muffin on top and bottom. It thoroughly and evenly cooks the egg. And nicely warms the cheese and meat (I use Canadian bacon).
I think a lot of people obviously did not read the instructions for this machine, since the indicator light does not reflect when the sandwich is done--it indicates when the unit is ready. This could be the cause of a lot of 'sandwich not being done' problems. Once everything is in and the lid is closed, you set a timer for 5 minutes. I'm also not quite sure why people would expect this unit to be able to cook raw meats such as bacon in 5 minutes, kind of baffling. It clearly states pre-cooked foods only. I have been using this every day for a month and have had ZERO problems. It took me a few times to figure out the best way to use it, which is by using spray oil to coat all of the compartments prior to inserting the ingredients and by also beating the egg a little bit in a bowl instead of cracking it directly into the machine.
BalasHapusAlso, do not submerge the compartments in water RIGHT AFTER you use it--this would cause ANY COOKING TOOL to warp, leading to the egg leak issues. Let it cool down, and then wash it afterwards or throw it into the dishwasher (I had better results just washing by hand).
All that aside for a second, I have to say this machine is fantastic. I have made a few different types of sandwiches with it and they always come out perfectly--timed for 5 minutes! Last week I actually pre-made 5 sandwiches in a row, let them set/cool and threw them in the freezer all wrapped up so I could grab one for breakfast each morning. Much better than buying the pre-packed ones from the freezer section that contain all kinds of bizarre ingredients and trans fats (Jimmy Dean). Great buy!
This was originally given to me as a slightly nerdy gag-gift. I never really intended to use it; however, one day I pulled it from the cabinet out of curiosity and perhaps a little boredom. Not expecting much, I plugged it in and made my first breakfast sandwich...
BalasHapusOnion bagel
Canadian bacon (pre-cooked!)
Grated cheddar cheese
One egg, scrambled, with freshly ground sea salt, black pepper, additional cheddar cheese, and a small(!) dash of Tabasco sauce mixed in...
!!!SUPER-YUMMY!!!
After five minutes, the egg was perfectly cooked, cheese melted and bagel toasted. The non-stick surface allows for easy food prep and clean-up. I was worried the egg might leak from the top ring before cooking, but the flush ring design works perfectly. I do wish the upper ring were slightly deeper, because I use unusually thick bagels from a local bakery. Most grocery store brand bagels fit perfectly. If you follow the directions (always a good idea when using appliances!) you can easily achieve tasty-breakfast-nerd-vana. I freakin' love this thing!
Om nom nom...