Read First Before Buy This That Supermarket Survival Guide
The introduction places this delightful work in context (Page vii): "It can be a place of wonder and excitement. . . . But it can also be a place of great danger, where marketing ploys, and outright lies can rob you of your fitness, your health, your vitality. . . . I'm talking, of course, about the American supermarket."
To summarize: This is a book that helps readers shop smarter. It notes for different classes of food (from candy to snacks to cereals and on and on) the ones that are most and least damaging, in terms of calories, fat, and sodium. A brief one line analysis generally accompanies each set of data on each product.
Examples of this part of the book. For instance, pages 176-177 feature corn chips. The conclusion, if one chooses to get some corn chips, is to purchase and eat products like Snyder's of Hanover Multigrain (130 calories, 5 grams of fat [0 grams of saturated fat], 110 milligrams of sodium) and not those like Frito's Original Corn Chips (160 calories, 10 grams of fat [1.5 grams of saturated fat], and 160 mg of sodium). Or take frozen pizzas, if you must. Think in terms of buying Palermo's Primo Thin Margherita (260 calories, 12 grams of fat [5 grams of which is saturated], and 520 mg of sodium)--not DiGiorno's Traditional Crust Pepperoni (770 calories, 35 grams of fat [14 grams saturated], and 1430 mg of sodium). Some of the comparisons as those above are quite stunning, and suggest that doing some decision-making at the store can have nutritional consequences.
Some interesting features--Survival guide for supermarket tips (pages 2-9), including a depressing check of stated calories per serving on the package and what the book says are the real calories per serving. the 20 worst packaged foods for a person in the country (e.g., Haagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream; the book suggests purchasing Edy's slow churned peanut butter cup ice cream instead), tips on which produce to purchase for nutritional kick, "making sense of meat," tips on snacking, and so on.
But, in the final analysis, it is the tips on which are the best and which the worst, in terms of nutrition, products in a variety of food categories. This book provides a nice service along those lines. I had thought that this would not be particularly useful when I ordered it (one look at the wild and wacky cover illustrates one reason for my pessimism), but I am happy to say that my doubts were not realized.
This question is designed to know the thoughts of other people in so protecting, preserving and loving our Environment and Ecology.
BalasHapusshould be there and what should not. I would like to get healthy and in doing so enable my husband to eat better. As i do the shopping I blame myself for what he eats. I would love to know what you consider healthy necessities. In our freezer we have pizza burgers garlic bread frozen veg. In the fridge always cheese ham some Fresh veg. We eat chicken allot. Anyway would really appreciate your imput. Also I am giving up smoking 1st August what can I buy to relieve the munchies. Many thanks!
BalasHapusOr even a trip there, doesn't have to be a cruise. I'd actually not prefer a cruise, but it doesn't matter. Whatever's the cheapest! I'm a teacher and don't make any money! :) Speaking of that, are there any teacher discounts?
BalasHapusI work in a shop and i just feel annoyed with all the backstabbing that goes on and bitching and all the whispers. I just wonder, why are shops so bitchy and what can you do to make yourself feel removed out of the cliques and groups. I just need a survival guide of someone who has lots of experience and knowledge about shop work and retail.
BalasHapus